Did you know that more than 10 per cent of people who declare bankruptcy each year are under 25? Or, that 20 per cent of people under 18 have had trouble with paying their mobile phone bills? Help young people develop smart consumer skills and learn to be wise with money by entering the Office of Fair Trading’s (OFT) Buy Smart Competition.
Entrants can win a share of over $11, 000!
Whether you are a school teacher or work with young people in a youth group, church group, community group, disability group or any other group – we encourage you to get young people involved and talking about these issues.
To take part, participants must:
- Research a consumer issue.
- Choose a target audience.
- Create an innovative way to present the consumer issue to their target audience.
- Submit their entry to the OFT.
Possible topics include:
- online shopping
- consumer rights and responsibilities
- product safety
- mobile phones
- spending wisely
- buying and running a car
- The competition is open to all Queensland students from years 4 to 12.
Past winning entries have included song lyrics, newspaper articles, PowerPoint presentations, videogames and websites. Be as creative as you like, the choice is yours!